Parador San Marcos of León
The Convent of San Marcos It is one of the great jewels of the architecture of the Spanish city of Leon along with the cathedral, the Basilica of San Isidoro and the House of Botines. . Today is a National Parador,, besides a church consecrated and the Museum of Leon, It is one of the most important monuments of the Spanish Renaissance.
As already mentioned, It is one of the most important monuments of the Spanish Renaissance. Its facade is a pearl of Spanish plateresco. It is a single wall canvas with two bodies and two floors, finished in watershed quiet and candlesticks. El primer cuerpo posee ventanas de medio punto y pilastras platerescas, the second column with balconies and balustrades. In the socket medallions presented with Greco-Latin characters and history of Spain (Hercules, Príamo, Héctor, Alexander the Great, Aníbal, Julius Caesar, Trajano, Judith, Lucrecia, Isabel the Catholic, Charlemagne, Bernardo del Carpio, el Cid, Fernando el Católico, Carlos I y Felipe II). In the sobrezócalo heads of angels they are represented. The palatial tower was built of 1711 al 1714. It is decorated with the cross of Santiago and a lion and has four entablature friezes.
The cover and main entrance has two more bodies Plateresque peineta, although in the eighteenth century Baroque elements were added. In the first body there is a large semicircular arch with rosette and decorated soffit. The key is exalted type representing San Marcos. There are medallions with biblical inscriptions and a high relief of Santiago triumphant in the battle of Clavijo. It has a span of Baroque, with the coat of arms of Santiago and the Kingdom of León. In the comb they are represented the coat of royal arms and a statue of Fame, work of Valladolid. Upstairs is an oculus in the rosette crowning the cover.
The cloister is divided into two sections of the sixteenth century, by Juan de Badajoz the Younger, in one of the sections there is a bas-relief work of Juan de Juni, representing Birth. The other two sections are of the XVII and XVIII.
The church is late Gothic Hispanic, called "Catholic Kings". The cover is flanked by two towers unfinished and including a ribbed vault. Posting two niches, one in each tower, and one of them is recorded the date of completion of the church: 3 June 1541. They are represented two reliefs: Calvary Cross and Descent of Juan de Juni. The interior features a wide and spacious nave, with cruise separated by rejería. In the altarpiece they are outstanding: Apostolate and the Annunciation (century XVIII).
The museum consists of three rooms, They are highlighting two that formed the old sacristy, by Juan de Badajoz the Younger.
As the chorus, the lower part is the work of Guillermo Doncel (century XVI), the rest of the choir is the work of Juan de Juni.
Actually, this building has three uses:
- Parador Nacional with category 5 stars. This use is given from 1964. Inside the parador it has lots of art exhibitions. Paintings of the Flemish School, woodcarvings, furniture recovered from churches and ruined mansions, hangings, writing desks and period pieces and contemporary artists such as Lucio Muñoz, Vela Zanetti, Redondela, Álvaro Delgado Ramos, Macarrón y Vaquero Turcios.
- Church consecrated from 1541.
- Museum since 1869. He teaches valuable works known as the Carrizo Christ the century XI, Peñalba Cross or the altarpiece of the church of San Marcelo.